A 61-year-old Nash County woman was killed on Tuesday morning as a result of her oxygen tank being ignited by a cigarette she was smoking, authorities said.
Belinda Coble, of the 6600 block of Crowned Court just outside Middlesex, was regulated to the tank due to medical issues, Capt. Eddie Moore of the Nash County Sheriff’s Office said in a news release.
A small explosion and a fire occurred, Moore said.
Coble’s husband, who was asleep in another room, awoke to the sound of the smoke detector having activated, Moore said. The husband was able to extinguish the fire with a fire extinguisher, Moore said.
The sheriff’s office listed the time of the incident as 7:24 a.m.