The first female victim of COVID-19 has died in Nash County, bringing the total number of deaths in the county to four.
This is the second COVID-related death in two days in the Twin Counties. The Edgecombe County Health Department reported its ninth death on Thursday.
Nash County Health Director Bill Hill said the most recent Nash County victim of COVID-19 was an African-American woman in her late 60s who had serious pre-existing health conditions. The woman died within two weeks of testing positive and was gravely ill toward the end, Hill said.
The other three Nash County deaths have occurred in men.
Four new cases of COVID-19 were reported on Friday in Nash County. However, Hill said that the county lost one case to Franklin County after a reporting error was corrected.
The number of positive test results in Nash County now stands at 168. Of that number, 107 people are considered recovered, 51 are isolated at home and six are hospitalized.
The Nash County Health Department also updated its weekly report about the demographic data of COVID-19 cases in the county.
The breakdown between men and women remains roughly even, according to the data. Of the 168 cases reported so far, 85 are women and 83 are men.
Blacks still predominate the cases that have tested positive in Nash County at well more than twice the rate of their white peers. Of the 168 cases. 113 have occurred in the black population compared to 51 in whites. The remaining four have been reported in other races.
So far, 19 people identifying as Hispanic have tested positive for COVID-19.
Age remains a factor in the number of cases reported, with older people generally more likely to test positive. So far, 44 people over the age of 60 and 41 people in their 50s have tested positive in Nash County.
However, 30-somethings still are more statistically likely to test positive than other age groups under 50. So far, 36 people in their 30s have tested positive compared to only 24 people in their 40s. As of Friday, 20 Nash County residents in their 20s have tested positive and only four cases in people younger than 20 have been reported.
The Edgecombe County Health Department reported two new cases on Friday, bringing the total number of cases in that county to 175. Of that number, 137 people are considered recovered and nine have died.
The Edgecombe County Health Department still refuses to release any demographic information about cases and deaths reported in that county.
The State of North Carolina entered a modified Phase Two recovery plan at 5 p.m. Friday. Restaurants now are allowed to open for indoor dining at 50 percent capacity and with additional precautions. Personal care businesses such as barber shops and salons also are allowed to open.
However, each business will determine when it can safely and profitably reopen on its own schedule.
Public parks, fitness facilities, bars and nightclubs will remain closed under the current gubernatorial executive order, which ends on June 26.
Gov. Roy Cooper on Friday announced a clarification to that order that also allowed breweries, wineries and distilleries to reopen Friday.
Local and state health officials urge residents to remain vigilant in protecting their health as more people leave their homes. Masks are strongly encouraged. Hand-washing and sanitizing of surfaces remain important and social distancing still is required in group settings.