A Rocky Mount man who was convicted in June 2018 of assault with a deadly weapon with intent to kill and possession of a firearm by a felon lost an appeal to his conviction in Nash County Superior Court, but his testimony may shed light on a Rocky Mount homicide.

Christopher Willis Jenkins appealed his conviction, but a court ruled in October that his trial was “free from prejudicial error.”

However, the court documents detailing the decision offer insight into a shootout that occurred in July 2017 at the Rolling Meadows apartment complex in Rocky Mount. The document also reveals possible leads in the killing of Timothy Arrington on April 30, 2017.

According to court documents, the charges against Jenkins arose from a shooting incident that occurred around 5 p.m. on July 21, 2017, at the Rolling Meadows apartment complex. Because the apartment complex has security cameras, most of the incident was caught on video without audio and was shown at the trial and aided in Jenkins’ conviction.

The video showed the encounter between Jenkins and three other men: Kelvin Davis, Kahlil Davis — Kelvin’s brother — and Marquise Jefferson. The testimony at trial, supported by the video, showed that Jenkins was at the apartment complex in his friend Fred Pitt’s apartment at the end of a workday waiting for his mother, Mary Jenkins, to pick him up.

When Jenkins’ mother arrived, he left Pitt’s home and encountered Kelvin Davis and two companions, who were armed with guns. The men began to argue and Jenkins went back into Pitt’s home, leaving his mother with Davis and his companions, to retrieve a gun before he went back outside.

Mary Jenkins got out of her car, the court document said, and she and Pitt tried to diffuse the situation by pushing Jenkins into the car. However, as Mary Jenkins pulled out of the parking space, Jenkins jumped out of the car while it was in motion and began yelling at Davis and his companions, who by this time had crossed to the other end of the parking lot.

The responding officer, Detective Jace Coon of the Rocky Mount Police Department, reviewed the video prior to trial and testified as the jury watched the video at trial. Coon testified that Jenkins crouched between two vehicles from “a defensive position” and fired at least five shots. The police recovered shell casings from both ends of the parking lot, indicating that both Jenkins and one or more of the other men fired their guns.

Coon also testified that in the video, he saw Kahlil Davis “take a shooting position with his arms outstretched” toward Jenkins.

Jenkins took the stand in his own defense, testifying that based on the reputation and body language of the three men, he “was afraid that they would hurt (him) and (his) mother.”

Jenkins also testified that three months before this encounter, Davis shot and killed his friend, Tim Arrington, outside of Mary Jenkins’ home. It is not clear from the document if he was referring to Kelvin Davis or Kahlil Davis.

According to police records, Arrington died of gunshot wounds on April 30, 2017, on the 400 block of St. Paul Street. As of press time, the Rocky Mount Police Department could not confirm or deny whether this case has been solved or if either Kelvin or Kahlil Davis’ involvement has been explored based on these allegations.

Jenkins also testified that Kelvin Davis made threatening statements to him by his mother’s car on July 21, 2017, and he believed he would be killed as Arrington was. He said during the trial that he was just trying “to scare them away so (his) mother and (he) could get away.”

He also testified that he jumped out of the car because he believed that the three men would “shoot the car” because he heard the first shot fired while he was in the car. His mother also testified that she heard the first shot fired while she and Jenkins were in the car.

A Nash County jury convicted Jenkins on both charges in June 2018. Judge Benjamin G. Alford sentenced Jenkins to a term of 33 to 52 months in prison on a charge of assault with a deadly weapon with intent to kill and a term of 17 to 30 months in prison on a charge of possession of a firearm by a felon, to run consecutively.