Police are conducting a homicide investigation as a result of a report at 12:06 a.m. Saturday of an aggravated assault in the 800 block of Luper Street.
Police learned a 30-year-old man succumbed to his injuries at the scene and his name is being withheld pending notification of his family members, Sgt. Scott Hale said in a brief news release emailed to the Telegram via a city spokesman.
An online archive of Nash County emergency medical services radio traffic said EMS personnel were told there had been a shooting in the 800 block of Luper.
The incident occurred in the Little Raleigh area of the city and marks the sixth homicide in Rocky Mount in 2020 and the first one in more than five months.
The previous homicides this year are as follows:
- Jan. 2 in the 900 block of Mashie Lane, with the victim being Jonathan McCrory, 23.
- Jan. 16 in the 1200 block of Goldrock Road, with the victim being Keivon Bullock, 19.
- Feb. 4 in the 200 block of South Tillery Street, with the victim being Melvin Williams, 60.
- May 13 in the 200 block of Union Street, with the victim being Jean-Luc Batchelor, 28.
- May 15 in the 1500 block of Charter Drive, with the victim being Kenneth Styles, 20.
Anyone with any information about the case in the 800 block of Luper is asked to contact police at 252-972-1411 or Crime Stoppers at 252-977-1111 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Tips also can be texted to police at 274637 by beginning messages with RMPOL and typing up to 155 characters about the information.