Justin Hines


A Nashville man is behind bars after Rocky Mount police arrested him for allegedly firing a .357 revolver in the direction of another person in the early morning hours recently outside a nightclub in the northwestern part of the city.

Justin Hines, 25, is charged with assault with a deadly weapon with intent to kill, possession of a dangerous weapon while intoxicated and possession of a stolen firearm, Cpl. Clay Wilder said.

Additionally, Hines is charged with discharging a firearm into occupied property and discharging a firearm while in the city limits, Wilder said.

The call came in at 1:26 a.m. on Nov. 29 about the shooting, which occurred after an altercation inside the Da Boatryde Complex, Wilder said. The nightclub is in the 1800 block of Stone Rose Drive and northeast of where Sunset Avenue crosses the Tar River.

Hines remains jailed under a $150,000 secured bond in the Nash County Detention Center, Wilder said.

Nash County District Court records said Hines listed an address in the 100 block of Wheeless Circle.

The court records said the firearm was a .357 revolver and that Hines is charged with discharging a firearm into occupied property because the gunfire occurred in the nightclub parking lot.

Hines on Tuesday appeared in court. The court appointed attorney Richard Batts to represent Hines and ordered Hines to be back in court on Dec. 19.

As for the specifics of the incident, two officers already were patrolling at Da Boatryde Complex, Wilder said.

After the altercation occurred, security personnel removed people from the nightclub and those people were asked to leave the property, Wilder said.

Groups began to go in different directions and the officers began walking about 15 yards behind a person to make sure that person left the area, Wilder said.

Then three gunshots rang out from the direction of a group, Wilder said.

One of the officers saw a muzzle flash coming from a person by a vehicle. The officers immediately drew their firearms and focused their attention on that vehicle and its occupants, Wilder said.

Hines was identified as the shooter and the officers took Hines into custody, Wilder said.

A search of the vehicle resulted in the confiscation of the revolver, which turned out to have been stolen from someone else, Wilder said.

Hines also was found to have a smell of liquor on his breath and his speech was slurred, Wilder said.

This is not the first time Hines has been in the judicial system in the Twin Counties.

Nash County court records show in September 2016 Hines was charged with carrying a concealed gun and obstructing an officer.

Specifically, the records show Hines was accused of having a .45-caliber handgun when he ran away from a Nash County deputy.

The records show Hines was a passenger in a vehicle and the deputy was attempting to search the vehicle after a traffic stop.

The records show Hines, after reaching a deal with prosecutors, pleaded guilty to carrying the gun and was sentenced to 20 days behind bars, but he was credited with 20 days of time already served.

The records also show Hines was ordered to destroy the gun.