Keep America Beautiful of Nash and Edgecombe Counties is a local, certified Keep America Beautiful affiliate.
It was originally founded in the Twin Counties in 1987 and known as the C.L.E.A.N. Team. The City of Rocky Mount, Nash County and Edgecombe County provide KAB’s basic operating budget, while local businesses, community civic groups and local industries provide the additional support that makes KAB great.
The Mission of Keep America Beautiful of Nash and Edgecombe Counties is to promote a cleaner and greener community through litter prevention, waste reduction and recycling and community beautification programs. Our goal is to make the Twin Counties cleaner and more attractive by uniting efforts of government agencies, businesses, neighborhood groups, churches, civic groups and clubs and individuals.
KAB of Nash and Edgecombe Counties coordinates and promotes the following programs annually:
- Adopt-A-Spot/Street program: This program is a partnership between area volunteers and Keep America Beautiful of Nash and Edgecombe Counties. It is designed to improve the quality of our environment by keeping our streets, parks, lots and storefronts litter free. The program helps keep our community clean and green, while resulting in a cost savings to taxpayers. Civic, business and social groups, as well as neighborhoods, schools, churches and individuals agree to pick up litter on their designated street at least 4 times per year. In return for their volunteer services the group gets a sign put up on their designated street or spot with their group name on it. KAB provides all the clean up supplies for volunteers, such as bags, vests, trash grabbers and safety vests.
- Great American Cleanup from March 19-June 20: The Great American Cleanup promotes individuals to take a greater responsibility for their local environment by conducting grassroots community service projects that engage volunteers, local businesses and civic leaders, such as community cleanup, community education, community garden etc.
- Arbor Day Tree Seedling Giveaway during first week in March: In honor of Arbor Day, this event is meant to inspire people to plant, nurture and celebrate trees.
- Edgecombe County Recycles Day on April 4: Free recycling event held annually at the Edgecombe County Administrative building parking lot in Tarboro. The event is from 10 a.m. until 1 p.m. and offers residents onsite document shredding, electronic recycling drop-off and prescription medication drop off.
- Twin Counties Big Sweep from mid-September to mid October: Annual event that encourages volunteers from the twin counties to pick up litter in their neighborhoods, parks and streams.
- America Recycles Day on Nov. 14: Free recycling event held annually at Golden East Crossing mall in Rocky Mount. The event is from 10 a.m. until 1 p.m. and offers residents onsite document shredding, electronic recycling drop-off, prescription medication drop off and Household Hazardous Waste Collection.