In honor of Earth Day recently, US Cellular wants to encourage area business professionals to keep their old electronic devices out of landfills and is providing incentives to do so.
Customers can get up to $500 when they trade in qualified smartphones online or in-store or easily recycle them at any US Cellular location. The company also offers Rocky Mount businesses tips on how they can be more environmentally aware.
Environmental Protection Agency statistics show that for every million cell phones that are recycled, 35,274 pounds of copper, 772 pounds of silver, 75 pounds of gold and 33 pounds of palladium can be recovered. This prevents these materials from ending up in local landfills and polluting local ground water supplies.
In 2020, 220,000 devices were recycled responsibly through US Cellular’s Trade-In and Recycling programs. As a result, 76,670 pounds of e-waste was diverted from landfills and 217,230,680 gallons of water pollution was avoided.
US Cellular associates can easily recycle any used devices from any carrier in an environmentally friendly and responsible way. We invite local business professionals to stop by one of our stores to trade in or recycle their used cellphones and tablets.
While recycling or trading in old devices is one way to be green, there are other ways to reduce, reuse, and recycle with the help of your smartphone. US Cellular offers tips to help take care of the environment.
Have fun and get rewarded by going greener:
- Recyclebank.com provides actionable tips and advice. Plus, users get rewarded with points to get discounts at local businesses and exclusive deals on sustainable goods. Business owners can potentially use these points for employee prizes or customer gifts.
- The fun JouleBug app also provides valuable information about how to make changes to your everyday workday to be more environmentally friendly. You can also compete with coworkers in eco-challenges and even join local community and national challenges virtually in 2021.
- Recycle more easily: RecycleNation is a location based app that provides users directions to local recycling centers, hours of operation, as well as a list of materials accepted for recycling. When doing an office remodel and/or clean out, there is no better time to dispose of items responsibly. The app also allows users to track their recycling progress and quantify their effect on the environment.
- Share your treasures: The Freecycle app allows people to give away their unwanted but reusable stuff to people in their local community who can use the items. Users post items to give away or make requests for items on this convenient app. . A great way to share office furniture and items with local charity groups and schools. Keep in mind COVID guidelines for no contact pick up or other contactless transfers.
- Go paperless: According to a study by the PayItGreen Alliance, the average American household could save 6.6 pounds of paper, 24 square feet of forest, 63 gallons of water and 4.5 gallons of fuel per year by choosing electronic bills, statements and payments. Consider ways to cut down on paper usage in your office in 2021. And consider offering online bill management like US Cellular provides which can save your customers time while helping the environment.
With so much technology at our fingertips it’s easier being green. From finding local recycling centers to making small changes in our workday to become more eco-friendly, our mobile devices can help simplify and enhance our business plans and employee’s daily activities, allowing us to take actionable steps to help our environment.
Jeremy Taylor is director of sales for US Cellular in eastern North Carolina.