Firefighters from the Princeville Volunteer Fire Department extinguished a blaze Sunday at St. Luke Church of Christ in Princeville.
Firefighters arrived at the church at 101 Neville St. about four minutes after receiving a 911 call at about 12:47 p.m., Princeville Fire Chief Billy Boddie said. Firefighters Quentin Higgs and James Powell were the first to arrive at the church and located the fire in a utility closet in the back of the church and extinguished the blaze, he said.
Capt. Brandon Murphy also entered the church to access the situation and make sure the fire was completely extinguished and not smoldering in the walls, Boddie said.
Boddie credited his firefighters' fast response to their dedication and determination to serve the residents of Princeville. He also praised members of the congregation of St. Luke Church of Christ for being prepared, reacting quickly when alerted by smoke detectors inside the church and having fire extinguishers on hand.
Crews from the Conetoe, Speed and Tarboro fire departments assisted in the operation.