A house caught fire Tuesday morning in the 700 block of Rose Street.
The Rocky Mount Fire Department received the call around 8:25 a.m, and firefighters arrived shortly after, finding grey smoke coming from the back of the home, Fire Chief Trey Mayo said.
Dorthy Pressley, who lives at the house with Keith Pressley, told firefighters she was cooking and went into another room, when she heard the smoke alarms sound, Mayo said.
“Do not leave your cooking unattended,” Mayo said. “A phrase we use is ‘Stand by your pan.’”
No one was injured by the fire, and the home suffered minor fire damage, Mayo said.
The Pressleys are receiving housing aid from the Frederick E. Turnage Chapter of the American Red Cross.