Woman dies; husband, firefighter injured in blaze

By Brie Handgraaf

Staff Writer

0 Comments | Leave a Comment

Officials said a 73-year-old Macclesfield woman died Tuesday morning in a fire that also injured her husband and a firefighter.

Edgecombe County Deputy Fire Marshal Mark Rogerson said Robert Lee Corbett Jr. called 911 shortly after 5 a.m. to report he’d escaped a fire at his home on the 500 block of W. Green Street in Macclesfield. The man reportedly told the dispatcher his wife, Judy Morris Corbett, was trapped inside the kitchen of the home.

Rogerson said crews found the woman within six minutes of being on-scene and had her out of the home within another two minutes. The woman was pronounced dead at the scene with burns to her upper extremities, he said.

Robert Corbett was transported to Vidant Medical Center in Greenville, where his condition is unknown. Rogerson said an unidentified firefighter was taken to Wilson Medical Center with an injured ankle.

It took about 30 minutes for crews to extinguish the blaze, which was largely confined to the living room. Rogerson said the rest of home had heat and smoke damage.

The fire is under investigation by the Edgecombe County Sheriff’s Office and the State Bureau of Investigation. Rogerson added that the fire does not appear to be suspicious.

“We want people to be safe during the holidays,” Rogerson said. “We had (another) man and his live-in partner (who) were displaced yesterday after a fire that started with a wood-burning stove. We are trying our best to get the message out about candle safety, Christmas tree safety and heating safety because this is the season those types of fires increase.”