Rocky Mount firefighters work the scene of a house fire Monday night in the 100 Block of Hunting Lodge Drive

Bob Bartosz

Rocky Mount firefighters work the scene of a house fire Monday night in the 100 Block of Hunting Lodge Drive

Unattended cooking sparks house fire

From Staff Reports

0 Comments | Leave a Comment

Rocky Mount firefighters responded to a call Monday night after a house in the 100 Block of Hunting Lodge Drive caught fire, officials said.

The call came in at 7:52 p.m., with firefighters arriving shortly after to find a significant amount of smoke in the area and a moderate amount of flames coming from the kitchen area, officials said.

Firefighters had the flames extinguished after about 20 minutes and the blaze under control within about 30 minutes, officials said.

No one was injured in the fire, as the one occupant of the house, who did not request housing assistance, was outside the home by the time fire crews arrived.

The fire is believed to have originated in the kitchen and caused by unattended cooking, which the occupant confirmed, officials said.