Sprinkler system extinguishes early morning fire at DoubleTree Hotel

By Brie Handgraaf

Staff Writer

0 Comments | Leave a Comment

A fire sprinkler system extinguished a small electrical fire Wednesday morning at the DoubleTree Hotel.

Rocky Mount Fire Chief Trey Mayo said a guest at the hotel smelled smoke and activated a fire alarm pull station to alert authorities. Crews responded shortly after 6 a.m. and met with a security officer who said the smoke odor was on the fourth floor. Firefighters reportedly found a small amount of smoke in the hallway and water coming out of room 442, which was unoccupied.

When firefighters entered the room, the fire sprinkler was activated and minimal fire damage was noticed around the heating unit in the room. The fire activated the room’s sprinkler before the fire spread throughout the room and other rooms in the hotel.

Mayo said the hotel did not need to be evacuated due to the automatic sprinkler system. No one was injured during the incident.