Rocky Mount fire chief accepts job in Winston-Salem Read More

Rocky Mount firefighters work the scene of a house fire Thrsday at 655 W. Raleigh Boulevard.
Viewing Photo 1 / 3

Special to the Telegram / Bob Bartosz

Rocky Mount firefighters work the scene of a house fire Thrsday at 655 W. Raleigh Boulevard.

Space heater sparks house fire

From Staff Reports

0 Comments | Leave a Comment

A portable heater reportedly started a Thursday morning house fire.

Reports indicate the resident attempted to put out the blaze with an extinguisher but was unsuccessful and called authorities.

Officials said thin white smoke was coming from 655 W. Raleigh Blvd. when crews arrived. It took crews about 20 minutes to extinguish the blaze, which was contained to the bedroom where the resident said it started when a portable heater began sparking.

The American Red Cross responded to assist the resident with medical needs and temporary housing.