Employees and customers were evacuated from Lowe's for about 10 to 15 minutes Monday night because of a small fire, Rocky Mount Battalion Chief Donnie Daniels said.
Firefighters were called to the store about 7 p.m. They found a small fire in the gutter and drainage system at the back of the building, Daniels said.
He said firefighters were able to extinguish the fire within about 15 minutes, and no one was injured.
The cause of the fire was determined to be accidental, Daniels said. He said an employee was working near the back of the store and accidentally started the fire.
The employee poured gas down the gutters and drains in the rear of the building to get rid of snakes. But when he lit the fire, the vapors ignited and blew off the gutters.
The fire caused minor damage, Daniels said.