Man killed in motel fire

The Associated Press

0 Comments | Leave a Comment

HILDEBRAN – Officials in Burke County said a man has died in a fire at a motel.

A couple awakened Friday to a strange smell, officials said. The couple said they tried to call the man next door to let him know his room was on fire.

The couple grabbed a garden hose at the side of Lowman’s Motel in Hildebran and pushed through the door to try to douse the fire but couldn’t see through the smoke, officials said.

Burke County Deputy Fire Marshal Cecil Huffman said investigators believe the fire was accidental. Huffman said a discarded cigarette started the fire on a couch in the room. The damage was contained to the one unit. No other injuries were reported.

The man’s identity wasn’t released.