HICKORY — A fire in the pressroom has led to an evacuation of the Hickory Daily Record building. No injuries have been reported.
The newspaper reported staffers rushed from their offices Wednesday around 10 a.m.
Press operator Bobby Hoyle said as workers were changing a roll of paper, he heard a loud pop from one of the reels and then saw sparks and flames. Another press operator grabbed a fire extinguisher, but Ray Pack said when he realized he couldn’t bring the fire under control, he pulled a fire alarm to alert others in the building.
Publisher Eric Millsaps said there was no significant damage to the building, and that the newspaper is assessing the damage to the pressroom equipment.
The press prints several papers owned by BH Media Group.