ASHEVILLE — The Asheville City Council will consider a plan to help rid the city of graffiti, including requirements that property owners remove it and asking legislators to approve higher penalties for vandals.
The Asheville Citizen-Times reported council members will consider the plan at their meeting Tuesday.
The city also is planning an intensive cleanup effort, starting July 1. For 90 days, the city would cover 90 percent of the cost of removing graffiti from a private building and would aggressively remove graffiti from public property. Property owners would pick up the remaining 10 percent and the city would budget $300,000 for its efforts.
Beginning Oct. 1, the city would remove graffiti on private buildings and charge property owners the cost of the cleanup if owners do not take action.