3-year-old hospitalized after house fire

The Associated Press

0 Comments | Leave a Comment

MOREHEAD CITY — Authorities in Carteret County say a 3-year-old is hospitalized after being rescued from a burning apartment.

Firefighters in Morehead City responded to an apartment fire in Morehead City Tuesday. When they arrived they found smoke coming from the windows and the roof.

Officials said two people were inside the apartment and were able to get out after a neighbor noticed the fire from the street and awakened one of the people inside. One of those occupants was able to remove the child before police and firefighters arrived.

Morehead City Fire Chief Jamie Fulk said the child was first transported to Carteret General Hospital before being airlifted to the N.C. Jaycee Burn Center at UNC Health Care in Chapel Hill. The child’s condition wasn’t known Tuesday afternoon.