The kitchen of a Rocky Mount family’s home was damaged Monday in a fire.
Fire officials said crews responded around 11:45 a.m. to a fire on the 600 block of Atlantic Avenue, where smoke reportedly was billowing from the first and second story of the house. The occupants were outside the home when crews arrived. It took firefighters about 15 minutes to extinguish the fire due to the blaze spreading into the kitchen ceiling and dining room.
According to fire reports, the fire started when a resident left food cooking unattended.
The American Red Cross assisted the family with temporary housing.