Rocky Mount firefighters work the scene of a house fire about 4:30 p.m. Wednesday at 2301 Liriope Drive.

Bob Bartosz

Rocky Mount firefighters work the scene of a house fire about 4:30 p.m. Wednesday at 2301 Liriope Drive.

Kerosene heater sparks house fire

From Staff Reports

0 Comments | Leave a Comment

A fire started by a kerosene space heater left a woman homeless Wednesday night.

Authorities responded around 4:30 p.m. to a fire at a house on the 2300 block of Liriope Drive. The occupant had escaped, but crews said they saw heavy black smoke coming from the house and visible fire in one of the rooms upon arrival. The blaze was quickly extinguished but not before causing heat and smoke damage to rooms throughout the house.

It is unclear what caused the kerosene heater to catch fire, but officials urged residents to abide by manufacturer safety precautions, including the need to keep combustibles at least three feet from the space heater.