Snow and ice have begun to lightly cover the ground in Rocky Mount.
Meteorologists with the National Weather Service in Raleigh are urging drivers to stay off the roads after 3 p.m. today and travel only if absolutely necessary due to incoming, freezing precipitation.
“(The storm) is a cold system coming out of the Plains and combining with moisture in the Gulf,” Meteorologist Gail Hartfield said. “We are expecting ice to be a problem.”
After 3 p.m., Hartfield said meteorologists are expecting a tenth to two-tenths of precipitation.
“That’s liquid,” Hartfield said. “It will amount to mostly ice after some freezing rain and freezing drizzle. There will be ice through the night and into the morning.”
The wintery mix will fall between 3 and 9 p.m., Hartfield said, and whatever does fall is going to ice over.
Check back at rockymounttelegram.com throughout the day and night for updates.
- Nash Rocky Mount Schools will close two hours early Friday.
- Edgecombe County Schools will close 3.5 hours early Friday.
- Rocky Mount Academy is closing at noon Friday.
- Faith Christian School is closing at 11:30 a.m Friday.
- Nash Community College will close at 2 p.m Friday. NCC will open at 10 a.m. Saturday for classes.
- Tar River Transit will cease operation of their fixed route bus service and complimentary paratransit service at 2:45pm Friday.