Gas heater sparks house fire

From Staff Reports

0 Comments | Leave a Comment

Rocky Mount firefighters extinguished a small heating fire at a house Saturday afternoon.

According to officials, a call came in shortly before 1:30 p.m. about a fire at a house on the 700 block of Myrtle Avenue. Upon arrival, crews saw brown smoke coming from the structure. It didn’t take long for firefighters to extinguish the fire in the living room.

Authorities stated the fire started from a gas heater falling and catching an item on fire. The resident was not at home at the time of the blaze and received temporary housing assistance from the American Red Cross.

Fire officials recommend never leaving heaters unattended and removing all flammable objects from about three feet around heaters.