Rocky Mount Fire Department officials wrap up operations Wednesday after responding to a fire in the commissary facility at Gardner's Barbecue Restaurant at 1331 N. Wesleyan Blvd.

Telegram photo / Alan Campbell

Rocky Mount Fire Department officials wrap up operations Wednesday after responding to a fire in the commissary facility at Gardner's Barbecue Restaurant at 1331 N. Wesleyan Blvd.

Barbecue cooker catches fire

From Staff Reports

0 Comments | Leave a Comment

Rocky Mount firefighters responded to a fire Wednesday at the Gardner’s Barbecue Restaurant in the 1300 block of North Wesleyan Boulevard, after a gas cooking unit caught fire.

Firefighters arrived on the scene at 3:56 p.m., Battalion Chief Donnie Daniels said, finding smoke coming from a building in the back of the property.

The flames, which were contained to a gashead barbecue pit the restaurant uses to cook its meat, were extinguished by about 4:10 p.m., Daniels said.

The building appears to be structurally sound, suffering some minor smoke damage, Daniels said.

No one was injured in the flames, as all the employees and customers were in the front building, well away from the fire, Daniels said.

The fire appears to have been caused by overheating grease, Daniels said.