Edgecombe Community College’s student honor society won 13 awards at the recent Phi Theta Kappa Carolinas Regional Convention in March.
ECC’s chapter, Alpha Omega Nu, received the following chapter awards:
- Five-Star Chapter, the highest level a chapter can earn
- Super Star Chapter
- Excellence in Regional Honors in Action Project
- Excellence in Regional Service Project
- Yearbook Award
- Best eNewsletter Award
- Communication Award
Members of Alpha Omega Nu received the following individual awards:
- Hall of Honor Certificate – Kimberly Suggs
- Hall of Honor Certificate – Nina Sinclair
- Distinguished Chapter Officer Award – Nina Sinclair
- Distinguished Chapter Officer Award, Honorable Mention – Phyllis Williams
- Regional Distinguished Administrator Award – Michael Jordan
- Horizon Award – Tamara Frank-Pourvady
Alpha Omega Nu has been a five-star chapter since 1996. The chapter also has received the Super Star Award every year since the award was created.
Alpha Omega Nu sponsors a number of service projects annually.
On April 5, 25 volunteers came to the Tarboro campus to participate in the group’s spring Adopt-A-Highway cleanup. Thirty-one bags of trash, including recyclables, were gathered.
To be a member of Phi Theta Kappa, students must have completed 12 credit hours in an associate degree program and have a cumulative grade point average of 3.5 or higher. Students must then maintain at least a 3.25 grade point average to remain in the group.