Area piano teachers recently honored their leading students in the annual PianOlympics competition held March 16 at the Church of the Good Shepherd.
The 27th annual competition encouraged piano students to strive for excellence through preparing and performing from memory two compositions in one-on-one sessions with a judge.
First-, second- and third-place and honorable mention winners were chosen in seven performance levels. Winning students presented an honors recital March 17 at Cornerstone Independent Baptist Church.
Ninety-one young pianists took parting the competition, representing 15 area music teachers: Stefan Bryant, Pam Cameron, Lawrence Goering, Mary Ruth Johnson, Peggy King, Tom Parker, Angie Ruffin, Joni Smith, Betty Jo Turner and Joan Vick of Rocky Mount; Sally Mosely of Tarboro; Barbara Valentine of Nashville; and Lydia Bardin, Bobbie Lamm and Kim Handley of Wilson.
The judges for PianOlympics were Beth Credle of Nashville, Jane Bostic of Wilson and Mary Rose Adkins of Charlotte.
Two summer piano camp scholarships were awarded by Lewis Spivey, local registered piano technician. Gabbie Stewart was selected from students in levels one through four and Spencer Carney for levels five through seven. Both are Johnson’s students. Sadie Page, a student of Handley, was named alternate winner for levels one through four.
The competition winners and their teachers are:
- Level one – First place, Kate Haskins (Bardin); second place, Luisa Lee (Bardin); third place, Joshua Maze (Bardin); honorable mention, Mason Deal (Goering).
- Level two – First place, Joseph Jenkins (Handley); second place, Mae Crews (Goering); third place, Kylar Wiggins (Goering); honorable mention, Ana Katherine Weeks (Goering) and Jenin Zapanta (Lamm).
- Level three – First place, Mary Clara Dees (Johnson); second place, Polly Medlin (King); third place, Adrienne Faulkner (Mosely); honorable mention, Eden Curtis (Goering) and Sydney Seamon (Johnson).
- Level four – First place, Abigail Newcomb (King); second place, Gabbie Stewart (Johnson); third place, Gabrielle Sherman (Parker); honorable mention, Vivian Rogers (Bardin) and Jonina Stith (Smith).
- Level five – First place, Daniel Crandol (Mosely); second place, Alexander Sherman (Parker); third place, Joelle Brown (Bardin).
- Level six – First place, Matthew Young (Mosely); second place, Kate Hanson (Bardin).
- Level seven – First place, Janae Brown (Bardin); second place, Natalie Browne (Bryant).