NEBO, N.C. (AP) — Emergency personnel in McDowell County say a 12-year-old boy has died and two others have been hospitalized after apparent carbon monoxide poisoning.
Sgt. Johnsie Parker of McDowell EMS said sheriff's deputies and emergency workers responded to a call from a home Friday afternoon.
Authorities said responders found the 12-year-old boy dead. They also found a 9-year-old boy and a 29-year-old man with life-threatening injuries. The patients were transported by a pair of medical helicopters Spartanburg Regional Hospital.
The names of the victims haven't been released.
Officials haven't determined a cause, but rescue workers found high levels of carbon monoxide in the home. An investigation is continuing.