WINSTON-SALEM — Nearly 20 Forsyth County employees have gone to the hospital for evaluation after a toxic dry cleaning chemical spill at the county jail.
Deputy County Manager Damon Sanders-Pratt said not all the workers exposed to the chemical odor Monday felt ill. But he said the county sent them all to Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center as a precaution.
Sanders-Pratt said one person vomited after exposure to the odor from the chemical, which he identified as perchloroethylene.
The spill occurred below the floor where inmates are held, and Sanders-Pratt said the area has been closed off. He said building maintenance workers tried to move a dry cleaning machine, which had a label saying it was empty as of 1998. When workers disconnected it, fluid came out.