Sheriff releases body camera footage from shooting


A Nash County patrol car sits at the scene of an officer-involved shooting on Feb. 9 in the 1200 block of Maudis Road in Bailey.


Staff Writer

Sunday, March 10, 2019

The Nash County Sheriff’s Office on Sunday released copies of the body camera footage, 911 call and radio traffic related to the Feb. 9 officer-involved shooting and the files show a brief image of the actual shooting.

The image, which lasts only a few seconds, was taken from the perspective of an officer not directly involved in the shooting. This officer, who was not identified, was present at the scene more than 10 minutes before the shooting occurred.

On his body cam footage, the officer is seen questioning a Spanish-speaking neighbor about Jonathan Ramirez. He is seen explaining to the neighbor that the Sheriff’s Office had received a call about a possible assault by Ramirez and that officers were informed that Ramirez had cocaine and and AK-47 in his possession.

The officer then said, “J.T.’s got eyes on him and sent a team in this direction.”

The officer and at least two other law enforcement personnel then search several vehicles around Ramirez’s residence and questioned the neighbor further before the officer returns to his own parked vehicle to listen to calls related to the incident. A little over 10 minutes after the body camera footage begins, the officer steps out of his vehicle in time to capture a brief glimpse of Ramirez as he is shot and falls to the ground.

The footage clearly shows Rameriz approaching several Nash County deputies. He appears to be bent slightly, with something in his hands. However, the video made available to the press was not clear enough without enhancement to show whether he had a weapon as the video was shot from some distance away.

This brief image was the only one that showed the actual moment of the encounter. Though Nash County Sheriff Keith Stone said at an earlier news conference that a conversation had taken place between deputies and Ramirez before the shooting, that conversation was not included on any available body cam or dash cam footage. The incomplete video record of events also does not contain a clear image of the weapon Ramirez was allegedly carrying at the time of the shooting or of the recovery of the weapon.

Most of the rest of the footage shows the nightmarish aftermath of the shooting. Law enforcement officers were striving to keep a growing number of family members who arrived at the scene calm and clear of the crime scene. Some family members screamed, others wept and still others taunted and cursed law enforcement officers in what was clearly a tense and dramatic situation.

The most heart-breaking scenes were those of Ramirez’s parents who emerge from their home just after the shooting, confused and upset at the scene before them. The father kept shouting, “You shot my son! You shot my son on my property! I can’t believe it!” In the meantime, Francisca Ramirez tries to go to her son and then falls to the ground praying for him.

A fresh wave of grief erupted as officers, after trying to treat the son’s injuries, placed a sheet over his slain body. At one point after her son was placed in the ambulance, Francisca Ramirez can be seen sitting in a pool of her son’s blood while her husband held her and rocked her in his arms.

The nearly 13-minute 911 call that started the chain of events revealed that a woman who said she had two friends in her car with her reported that Ramirez had tried to sexually assault her in his vehicle after they had both been drinking. The woman said she was frightened because he had offered her cocaine and she saw he had an AK-47 in the back of his car. When Ramirez reportedly offered her $300 to be with him, she somehow got away, followed Ramirez and called 911 to report the incident, identifying Ramirez by name and describing his vehicle down to the license plate number.

Less than 16 minutes later, according to radio traffic reports, Ramirez was dead at the hands of three deputies after he reportedly pulled his weapon on them when they confronted him as he got out of his vehicle in front of his home on the 1200 block of Maudis Road in Bailey.

The State Bureau of Investigation continues to investigate the incident and the three officers involved remain on administrative leave.