Shooting suspect arrested after car chase

Rameik Anderson.jpg

Rameik Desean Anderson


By Philip Sayblack
Staff Writer

Thursday, January 5, 2017

A Pinetops man is behind bars in Edgecombe County facing multiple weapons and other charges following a shooting and car chase that happened early Wednesday morning in Tarboro.

Tarboro police responded to a report of shots fired into a building at 5:47 a.m. at a house on the 2200 block of Main Street at Davis Drive. Tarboro police Chief Jessie Webb said the shooting was not a random act. 

Webb said at least 10 shots were fired into the house, adding at least seven people were inside the house at the time. He said no one inside the house was injured.

Witnesses described the suspect vehicle to police as a white 2007 GMC Acadia. Officers found the SUV a short time later driving west on Howard Avenue at the intersection of Western Boulevard.

Webb said when officers tried to stop the SUV, it drove away, leading them on a short chase. He said the chase proceeded from Howard Avenue, eventually making its way onto Old County Home Road before ending on Tall Oaks Road.

The chase ended when the driver, later identified as Rameik Desean Anderson, 22, crashed the vehicle in a ditch. Anderson fled the vehicle on foot while three other people in the vehicle were detained. They were later released. Police also found two handguns.

The Edgecombe County Sheriff’s Office assisted in the search for Anderson by setting up a perimeter while Tarboro police brought in a K-9 unit to search for Anderson. Police hunted for Anderson for more than two hours before finding and arresting him.

Anderson was charged with seven counts of attempted first-degree murder, one count of discharging a weapon into an occupied dwelling, one count of discharging a firearm from a motor vehicle, one count of possession of a gun with an altered serial number, two counts of possession of a firearm by a felon, one count of going armed to the terror of the public, one count of fleeing to elude arrest, one count of failure to stop for lights and siren, one count of resisting a public officer, one count of reckless driving, one count of driving while impaired, one count of driving while license revoked and other traffic-related charges.

Anderson was jailed under a $250,000 secured bond in the Edgecombe County Detention Center. Court records show Anderson was scheduled to make his first appearance on the charges on Thursday.

Anderson’s has been arrested on previous occasions in Edgecombe and Wilson counties dating back to 2011. Those arrests were for weapons violation and driving while impaired among other charges.