Woman electrocuted by faulty air conditioner at local hotel


First responders work the scene where a woman was electrocuted by a faulty air conditioner at the Economy Inn Suites in Gold Rock.


Staff Writer

Monday, August 20, 2018

A woman was killed and a young child injured Monday when they were shocked by a faulty air conditioner in a hotel room in Gold Rock.

According to a press release, the Rocky Mount Fire Department responded to a call Monday morning regarding two females who were possibly electrocuted at the Economy Inn Suites at 7522 Old Battleboro Road. A 31-year-old woman died from cardiac arrest, while a 7-year-old girl was taken to UNC Health Care for treatment of her injuries.

A 10-year-old boy who was in the hotel room said in a statement to authorities that an HVAC unit malfunctioned and began to smoke. The 31-year-old woman checked the unit and opened the door to allow the smoke to escape the room. When she tried to leave the room, she fell unconscious. 

The city of Rocky Mount electrical troubleshooters terminated power to the room and adjacent rooms after the incident. The cause of death of the adult woman is under investigation until an autopsy is performed by a medical examiner. The identities of the victims haven’t been released.

There were a total of five people living in the room, and all were in the room at the time of the incident except for an adult male, according to the release. Three Nash County Emergency Services units, the Nash County Sheriff’s Office, Stony Creek Rescue Squad, Battleboro Community Volunteer Fire Department, Nash County Medical Examiner and the Rocky Mount Police Department assisted fire crews with the incident.