Loading...

Blaze in clothes dryer sparks house fire

Loading…

From Staff Reports

Friday, January 26, 2018

A fire in a clothes dryer Tuesday sparked a blaze that caused significant damage to a family’s home on Rocky Street.

Rocky Mount Fire Department units responded about 5:47 p.m. Tuesday to a working structure fire at 329 Rocky Street. Units arrived within one minute of dispatch to find smoke showing from the roof eaves and the front of a single-story home. Further investigation indicated the fire was in the laundry room and kitchen area in the middle left side of the house, according to a press release from the Rocky Mount Fire Department.

Fire crews gained access to the house through the front door after making a transitional attack. The fire was contained to the kitchen and laundry area and the ceiling above it. Twenty-five Rocky Mount firefighters responded to the fire and were able to extinguish the blaze and conduct a search of the residence in approximately 40 minutes.

All occupants had left the house prior to the arrival of the first fire crew, and there were no injuries to the residents or firefighters. The house suffered significant fire damage to the kitchen and laundry area and moderate heat and smoke damage throughout the structure. Utilities were secured by the CRM Electrical Troubleshooter. Nash County Rescue Services  and the Rocky Mount Police Department also responded and assisted with the incident.

The Rocky Mount Fire Department’s Fire Investigation Team members assisted with the investigation. The occupant of the home stated he opened the clothes dryer and saw fire. The dryer door was left open and the family evacuated the home and dialed 911. All indications were consistent with the occupant’s statement and the fire did not appear suspicious, the statement said.

The structure was secured and turned back over to the property owner prior to fire units clearing the scene. The American Red Cross was contacted and responded to offer assistance to the occupant.

Loading…