Loading...

Firefighters rescue dog from burning house

012318Fire.JPG
1 of 6

Firefighters battle a blaze Friday at a house on the 1200 block of Powell Drive.

2.JPG
3.JPG
6.JPG
2a.JPG
5.JPG
Loading…

From Staff Reports

Tuesday, January 23, 2018

Area firefighters rescued a dog from a burning home on Friday.

About 1:45 p.m. Friday, a fire was reported at a home on the 1200 block of Powell Drive. Firefighters from the West Edgecombe Fire Department, Heartease Fire Department and Sharpsburg Fire Department were dispatched to the scene with Edgecombe County Emergency Medical Services Units. 

Firefighters arrived to find a working fire with heavy black smoke pouring from the home. They made an aggressive interior attack on the fire despite heavy smoke that at times obscured their vision and found the homeowners’ dog, which was still inside. The pet was rescued uninjured and returned to the owners, who were outside the home.

The house became fully involved with flames and firefighters were forced to make an exterior attack on the fire. Their efforts were hampered by the fact that they had to transport water from the nearest hydrant over a half-mile away. For over an hour, 45 firefighters battled the blaze, but the home was totally destroyed by the fire.

No one was injured during the incident.

Loading…