Hotel fire investigated as possible arson

1 of 7

Rocky Mount firefighters work the scene of a blaze Saturday at Hal Orr's Inn at 2420 N. Wesleyan Blvd.


From Staff Reports

Tuesday, December 5, 2017

A fire that damaged a local hotel Saturday is under investigation as a possible arson.

Rocky Mount Fire Department units responded to a structure fire at about 11:28 a.m. Saturday at Hal Orr’s Inn at 2420 North Wesleyan Blvd.  According to a press release from the city of Rocky Mount, units arrived at the scene within two minutes of dispatch to find dark gray smoke and flames coming from the front of one motel room. 

The fire was burning throughout the entire room of origin and had begun burning the covered walkway. Working smoke alarms were present and alerted the occupants of the hotel. Firefighters searched all rooms to make sure they were clear.

The Rocky Mount Police Department also investigated the incident. Cpl. Mike Lewis of the Rocky Mount police said a bed in the room of origin was the source of the blaze and that the room was rented to someone. However, that occupant was reportedly not present at the time of the fire.

Roughly 22 Rocky Mount firefighters responded to the fire and used both exterior and interior hand lines to control the fire. The fire had burned into the attic space above the covered walkway, but did not extend to any other rooms adjacent to the room where the fire originated, the press release said.

The fire was extinguished approximately 30 minutes after firefighters first arrived and was under control within 45 minutes. The room where the fire originated and the covered walkway received substantial fire, smoke, and water damage. Utilities were secured by Dominion North Carolina Power and CRM Gas troubleshooters. Nash County Emergency Medical Services responded and set up on-scene rehab for the responding fire units.

The Rocky Mount Fire Department said there were no injuries or fatalities in connection with the incident.

The Rocky Mount Mount on-duty Fire Investigation Team investigated the scene at the time of the accident, and that investigation continues.