Loading...

Man convicted on sex charges

Loading…

BY AMELIA HARPER
Staff Writer

Tuesday, November 14, 2017

A Battleboro man was convicted of a forcible sex offence Thursday in N.C. Superior Court in Tarboro.

According to information released Monday by the District Attorney's Office, a jury found Dennis Ray Vines, 49, guilty of first-degree forcible sex offense and attempted first-degree forcible rape. Vines used both a knife and a taser on his 18-year-old victim during the commission of the crimes.

Vines was sentenced to serve 603 to 844 months, or 50½ to 70⅓ years, in prison. He also will be subject to sex offender registration and GPS monitoring for life.

Vines was arrested in September 2016 after Tarboro police responded to a report of a sexual assault at a Tarboro residence.

Police said when Officer Kaitlyn Sasser responded to the call, she met the 18-year-old victim, who told Sasser that she was acquainted with Vines and had been assaulted by him. Vines, who was already listed as a registered sex offender at the time, was arrested at the scene.

Loading…