Letter to the Editor: More laws are not the answer to evil
Saturday, March 3, 2018
I am partially addressing a recent Letter to the Editor headlined: “Constitution isn’t a perfect document”.
I have never heard anyone say our Constitution was perfect. However, I have yet to see any country’s founding documents bring about the greatest nation ever, other than the United States of America.
If men had taken our Founding Documents seriously, as they should have, there would have been no slaves in America. Our Declaration of Independence recognized that all men are created equal. So in order to right the wrong thinking of some, amendments were added to ensure equality for all.
If government had not taken away a God-given freedom by prohibiting the manufacture of alcohol with the 18th Amendment, it would not have had to repeal it with the 21st Amendment.
So I would say beware of people who do not respect our freedoms recognized in our Founding Documents.
“When your response to everything that is wrong with the world is to say, ‘there ought to be a law,’ you are saying that you hold freedom very cheap.” Quote from: Thomas Sowell
Laws will not stop evil people from doing evil things. Has drugs being unlawful worked? Does the speed limit keep people from speeding? Do all car owners have liability insurance? Since driving while being impaired is against the law, does that stop people from doing that? Has the law, “Thou Shalt Not Murder” stopped murder?
More laws are not the answer to all the evil in our society. So what is?
1. Homes without a mother and father to nurture and train their children by biblical principles.
2. Hearts without reverence for God, our creator.
3. The law that threw God and prayer out of our schools
4. Electronic gadgets
5. Lack of giving children responsibilities because they are part of the family.
6. Watching and allowing our children to watch the filth and violence on entertainment screens.
7. The influence of entertainment celebrities, including sports.
8. College professors teaching agenda-driven information instead of curriculum that benefits their students
Since the beginning of time, there have been people who do bad things and there always will be. But until we work on the source of our societal problems, we will continue to have a mega abundance of evil problems to put up with.