Prep football roundup: Faith Christian beats rival RMA; Gryphons earn shutout win


Telegram Reports

Saturday, September 14, 2019

The Faith Christian football team got back in the win column on Friday with a victory over rival Rocky Mount Academy.

The Patriots won, 60-32, and pulled away in the second half to snap a two-game losing streak. FCS improved to 2-2, while RMA (0-4) is still looking for its first win.

Hobart Brantley was the leading rusher for FCS with a game-high 323 yards and four touchdowns on 18 carries. Brantley also added 13 tackles and two interceptions on defense.

Shaikey Hardy added 228 rushing yards and three touchdowns, and recorded five tackles.

RMA scored just before halftime to cut the deficit to two scores, but couldn’t get any closer.

Rocky Mount High 35

Greenville Rose 0

The Gryphons (3-1) managed just six points in the first half as they took a 6-0 lead into halftime. RMH roared out of the break as its high-scoring offense broke through for 29 points in the third quarter.

The Gryphons’ defense was as sharp as ever in securing their first shutout of the season. RMH will put its three-game win streak on the line next week when it hosts Northeastern.

Southern Nash 55

South Granville 27

The Firebirds remained unbeaten following Friday’s win.

Southern Nash (4-0) led 27-0 at halftime and scored 14 points in both of the final two quarters to keep South Granville at a distance.

SN will host Greenville Rose — which was shut out Friday by Rocky Mount High — next week in the second to last non-conference game before Big East Conference play begins.

Tarboro 47

North Edgecombe 0

Tarboro led 40-0 at halftime in the non-conference win.

Not including the Week 1 washout win against Rocky Mount High, the Vikings have scored at least 47 points in each game this season. The Vikings will travel to SouthWest Edgecombe next week.

North Edgecombe drops to 1-3 with the loss.

SouthWest Edgcombe 47

Bertie 0

The Cougars moved to 3-0 following Friday’s non-conference road win.

SWE led 21-0 after the first quarter, and added 12 more points in the second to take a 33-0 lead into halftime. The Cougars scored one touchdown in both the third and fourth quarters to seal the victory.

Next up is a matchup with Tarboro next week.