Word Tabernacle adds two new centers


From left are Word Tabernacle Church intern Evan Burton; the Rev. Kyle Johnson, associate pastor; and Matthew Gailliard, assistant to the senior pastor.


From Contributed Reports

Wednesday, August 21, 2019

When Home Depot closed its Rocky Mount store in 2011, it was not initially on the Rev. James Gailliard’s or the Board of Directors’ radar to become the current home of The Impact Center/Word Tabernacle Church.

In 2014, the church began considering the property and eventually pursued the necessary steps for purchase due to its outgrowth at the former 820 Nashville Road location and its mission to change eastern North Carolina socially and economically.

Since occupying the former Home Depot in November 2015, 65,000 square feet of space has been renovated, which includes the Center for Childhood Literacy & Development, the Center for College & Career Readiness, the Center for Faith & Family Development, the Center for Health & Wellness and the Center for Leadership Development.

Staff and interns recently dedicated the two newest independent, yet collaborative centers — the Center for Capacity Building and the Center for Media & Broadcast, which encompass 18,000 square feet of space and took about seven months of construction.

“In these spaces, churches and not-for-profits will learn how to effectively and efficiently advance their mission to ensure equity and equality in rural communities. Professional development and hands-on learning will also be provided for personnel, students and practitioners interested in music composition, performance and production,” Gailliard said.

The Center for Capacity Building also houses the administrative, executive and development offices of The Impact Center/Word Tabernacle Church.

The Center for Culinary Arts & Hospitality and the Center for Performing Arts & Worship are set to begin construction in January 2020 with expected occupancy by December 2020. While the church currently funds 93 percent of the project with the other 7 percent coming from corporations and foundations, 100 percent of the programs are open to the public.

To schedule an organizational tour, reserve shared use space for an event, become an investor or a partner or learn more about the programs available at The Impact Center/Word Tabernacle Church, call 252-442-2925 or email administration@wordtab.net.