Friday, February 16, 2018
Anderson Chapel Missionary Baptist Church will hold a Youth Night service at 4 p.m. Feb. 24. The theme will be “Following the Way.”
Metropolitan Baptist Church, 1213 Leggett Road, will hold a Youth/Heritage Day service Feb. 25. The guest speaker will be Brother Javian McMillian.
Englewood Presbyterian Church, 100 S. Englewood Drive, will offer a new Sunday School curriculum for children in first through fifth called called Kids of Character. Each month the focus will be on a different character trait that can be applied to every day life. Instruction includes videos, life application tips, bible stories, scripture, activities and refreshments. Class will be held from 9:15-10:15 a.m.
Free Will Baptist Children’s Home seeks Christian families who will open their home to a child who has been removed from his or her home due to abuse or neglect. For information, call Eliza Harrell at 235-2161 or go to fwbchildrenshome.org.
Church of God Church is seeking musicians and singers. For information, call 813-3181.
Castalia Baptist Church, 9563 Main St., Castalia, will hold a fish fry from 4-8 p.m. today. Cost is $9.
Unitarian Universalist Fellowship of Rocky Mount, 516 N. Church St., will hold a service at 10 a.m. Sunday. The Rev. Randy Lewis will speak on “Room for Recovery”. For information, call 977-6023.
Black History Month services will be held at the following churches:
- Anderson Chapel Missionary Baptist – 11 a.m. Sunday.
- Wayman AME Church, 7020 Wayman Church Road, Enfield – Black History/Founder's Day program at 11 a.m. Sunday. The guest speaker will be the Rev. Eddie W. Lawrence. The Junior Choir will provide the music.
- Pleasure Hill Baptist Church – 11:15 a.m. Sunday. Lunch will be served following the service.
- Shiloh Missionary Baptist Church of Whitakers – 3 p.m. Sunday. The guest speaker will be the Rev. James T. Worthy.
- Johnson Chapel Missionary Baptist Church, 317 Beauvue Road, Elm City - Every Sunday in February during the 11 a.m. worship service. A celebration dinner will be served immediately following the service on Feb. 25.
- Foster Memorial Baptist Church – 11 a.m. Feb. 25; dinner will be served following the service. For information, call 544-3519.
- William Chapel Missionary Baptist Church, 6154 William Chapel Church Road, Elm City – 3 p.m. Feb. 25. The guest speaker will be the Rev. Novell Copper. Dinner will be served following the 11 a.m. service.
- Pittman Grove Missionary Baptist Church – 4 p.m. Feb. 25. The guest speaker will be the Rev. Walter Cherry.
- St. James Missionary Baptist Church, 527 E. Thomas St. - 4 p.m. Feb. 25.
- St. Paul Baptist Church, 1151 Winstead Ave. - 5 p.m. Feb. 25. The guest speaker will be the Rev. James Williams.
Anniversary services will be held at the following churches:
- Leggett Chapel - Fourth anniversary of its pastor, the Rev. Mitchell Harris, at 3 p.m. Sunday. The guest speaker will be the Rev. Empro Wilford.
- East End Baptist Church, 928 E. Highland Ave. - 14th anniversary of its pastor, the Rev. Mack Battle, and leading lady, Deborah Battle, March 9-11. Services include 7 p.m. March 9, the Rev. Carlton McCarter; 5 p.m. March 10, banquet at the R.T. McCarter Family Life Center, the speaker will be the Rev. Audrey McCarter-Hedgepeth, $25; and 4 p.m. March 11, Dr. Eddie Wayne Lawrence.
- The ushers of Hillsdale Baptist Church, 1601 Cherry St. - 4 p.m. March 25. The guest speaker will be Bishop Lynwood Batts.
The Ministers' Wives and Ministers' Widows Association, the Frank E. Hart Rocky Mount NABVETS, will meet at 6 p.m. Monday at East End Baptist Church, 928 E. Highland Ave. All veterans with a honorable discharge are eligible to be a part of this organization. For information, contact Deborah J. Battle at 985-4481 or the Rev. Frances Davis at 442-3204.
Oakdale Baptist Church L.I.F.E. Ministry, an addiction recovery ministry, meets at 6:30 p.m. the first and third Tuesday at Oakdale Baptist Church, 13037 U.S. 64 Alt. W. and the second and fourth Tuesday at the Peacemakers building, 1725 Davis St. The meeting is open for men and women with a free meal served For information, call 442-6587.
A study on the Apostles' Creed will be held from 7-8 p.m. Wednesdays at the Rocky Mount Church of the Nazarene, 1530 Hunter Hill Road. The 12-week study will consider the value of declaring our shared beliefs and affirm the faith tradition of Christians who came before us. For information, call 937-4436.
Alpha & Omega Fellowship will hold Bible study from 7-8 p.m. Wednesdays at Days Inn & Suites conference room across from Gardner's Barbecue. For information, call 544-7054 or 459-2207.
Still Standing support group, a group for people/family members in recovery, will meet from 7:30-9 p.m. Thursdays at Red Oak United Methodist Church.
Hillsdale Baptist Church, 1601 Cherry St., will hold a deacon, trustee, mothers and deaconess program at 4 p.m. Feb. 25. The guest speaker will be the Rev. Ronnie Bridgers.
Simply Sonja Events will present an “It's in the Bag!” women's conference from 9 a.m.-3 p.m. March 3 at Pittman Grove Missionary Baptist Church. The keynote speaker will be the Rev. Latoya Brewington. Registration is $10. For information, call 955-1184.
Anderson Chapel Missionary Baptist Church will hold a worship service at 11 a.m. March 4. The speaker will be Evangelist Margaret Knight.
Swift Creek Missionary Baptist Church, 2480 Swift Creek School Road, Whitakers, will have a deacons, deaconess and trustee service at 4 p.m. March 4. The guest speaker will be the Rev. Ernest McCowan.
The Edgecombe/Nash & Vicinity Ministers' Wives and Ministers' Widows Association will meet at 6 p.m. March 12 at East End Baptist Church, 928 E. Highland Ave. All wives of a licensed minister are invited to be a part of this association. For information, call Deborah J. Battle at 985-4481 or the Rev. Frances Davis at 442-3204.
Sister Vernita Council-Howard will preach her initial sermon at 3 p.m. March 18 at Anderson Chapel Missionary Baptist Church.
Swift Creek Missionary Baptist Church, 2480 Swift Creek School Road, Whitakers, will hold revival services at 7:15 p.m. March 20-22. The speakers will be March 20, the Rev. Kelly R. Andrews; March 21, the Rev. Gregory L. Evans; and March 22, the Rev. M. Lamont Littlejohn.
GriefShare, a grief recovery support group, will meet from 4-6 p.m. through March 25 at First United Methodist Church. For information, call 977-0400.
Tri-Faith Ministries, 140 E. Goldleaf St., will offer GED classes at no cost to enroll. For information or to register, call 977-3002 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
The prayer ministry of Whitakers United Methodist Church offers prayers on request for individuals. For prayer requests, call Sheila Lanier from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. at 437-2450.
The Sanctuary, 1063 Old Carriage Trail, will meet for prayer from noon-1 p.m. Mondays.
Rise Up Rocky Mount, a community faith-based group, will meet at 6:30 p.m. Tuesdays at The Pit Stoppe. For information, call Pete Vartanian at 458-1410.
New Destiny Outreach Ministries, 990 Cox Ave., will hold Bible study at 7 p.m. Wednesdays.
St. James Missionary Baptist Church, 527 E. Thomas St., opens its food pantry at 9 a.m. on the first and third Wednesday of each month for Edgecombe County residents. Participants must meet requirements and provide identification.
East End Baptist Church, 928 E. Highland Ave., holds a community prayer meeting and testimonial service at 7 p.m. every Wednesday. This service will be followed by the Rev. Mack E. Battle leading a verse-by-verse study of the book of 2 Corinthians.
Mount Zion First Baptist Church, 320 W. Thomas St., will hold a Sweet Hour of Prayer and Praise service from noon-1 p.m. Wednesdays. Lunch will be served following the service. For information, call 442-1627.
The Rev. Mack E. Battle leads a special brotherhood session for men at 10 a.m. of the first and third Saturdays of the month at East End Baptist Church, 928 E. Highland Ave.
North End Baptist Church, 500 E. Grand Ave., will open its Clothes Closet every Saturday morning from 10 a.m.-noon.
Send your notice to:
Church Notes; Rocky Mount Telegram; P.O. Box 1080; Rocky Mount, NC 27802; or
The deadline for submissions is 5 p.m. Monday. Submissions must include the contributor’s name and daytime and evening telephone numbers.