Saturday, June 8, 2019
Maria V. Howard Arts Center programs: 270 Gay St.; free; 972-1266; arts.imperialcentre.org.
- Zumba – 9:30-11 a.m. Saturdays through July 6; Dance Studio; no prior dance experience necessary; age 15 and older; registration suggested by the Wednesday prior to each class; limited to 20 participants; $7 per person.
- Ballet Fit Fusion – Noon-1 p.m. Saturdays through July 6; Dance Studio; ballet-based workout; no prior experience necessary; registration suggested by the Wednesday prior to each class; limited to 20 participants; $7 per person.
- Family Sundays – 2-4 p.m. every Sunday, Sunday through Aug. 18; Art Gallery; art making, interactive play, gallery sketching or go on your own exhibition tour; registration not required; free.
- Painting Watercolor: Family Workshop – Noon-3 p.m. June 15; Arts Education Building; age 5 and older; explore techniques, materials and elements of watercolor painting; no experience necessary; registration deadline Wednesday; limited to 20 participants; $15 residents, $22 non-residents (fee covers up to 3 family members).
- Youth Ballet – 5-6:30 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays, June 18 through July 11; Dance Studio; age 4-11; learn the basics of ballet; no experience necessary; registration deadline Friday; limited to 20 participants; $55 residents, $82 non-residents.
- Clay Relief Sculpture Workshop – Noon-3 p.m. June 22; Arts Education Building; age 10 and older; create clay tiles using additive and subtractive techniques, special tools and color; all materials included; no experience necessary; registration deadline June 19; limited to 20 participants; $25 residents, $38 non-residents.
- Mommy + Me Arts – 10:30-11:30 a.m. Fridays, July 12 through Aug. 8; Arts Education Building; ages 2-8; explore a variety of art materials, experience new textures; improve fine motor skills and be creative; all materials provided; pre-registration suggested, drop-ins welcome; limited to 15 participants; $5 per adult/child.
- Beginning Calligraphy – Noon-3 p.m. July 20; Arts Education Building; age 14 and older; learn how to use traditional tools with the art of calligraphy; all materials provided; no experience necessary; all materials provided; registration deadline June 19; $20 residents, $30 non-residents.
- Talk and Draw – Noon-1 p.m. Aug. 7; Art Gallery; brief artist talk and create your own artwork in this artist-led drawing session; all materials provided; pre-registration suggested; limited to 25 participants; free.
- Making Multiples: Printmaking – 9 a.m.-noon Aug. 10; Arts Education Building; age 15 and older; hands-on exploration of process, tools and color; registration deadline Aug. 7; $17 residents, $25 non-residents.
Lawn Chair Theater: dusk; lawn of the Imperial Centre for the Arts and Sciences; free admission; attendees are encouraged to bring a lawn chair or blanket; imperialcentre.org.
- Friday - “Ralph Breaks the Internet.”
- July 12 - “Hotel Transylvania 3.”
- Aug. 9 - “How to Train Your Dragon – The Hidden World.”
- Sept. 6 - “Incredibles 2.”
Downtown Live! summer music series: 6 p.m. every other Thursday through Sept. 12 (except July 4); Imperial Centre lawn, 270 Gay St.; food and beverage vendors; free; imperialcentre.org.
- June 20 – Spare Change.
- July 18 – The Tams.
- Aug. 1 – Jim Quick & Coastline.
- Aug. 15 – The Legacy Motown Review.
- Aug. 29 – The Catalinas.
- Sept. 12 – The Embers featuring Craig Woolard.
2019 Mills Music Session: Rocky Mount Mills, 1151 Falls Road; free; rockymountmills.com.
- July 20 – Blues at The Mills with John Shain and Randy McQuay (mini-session).
- Aug. 9 – Billy Walton Band.
- Sept. 14 – New Reveille.
Maria V. Howard Arts Center: 270 Gay St.; free; 972-1163; arts.imperialcentre.org.
- Interwoven – Through Aug. 11; works by Elaine Fleck.
- MacKenzie Ship Collection – Through Aug. 11.
- Daddy's Home – Through Aug. 18; paintings by Lamar Whidbee.
- Black & White Photography – Through Aug. 18; selections from the Permanent Collection.
- 2019 Juried Art Show – Through Aug. 18.
- Sculpture Salmagundi XXII – Through Sept. 2019.
- Sculpture Salmagundi XXIII – call for entries through June 28; juror Jason Smith; artists 18 years old and older may submit up to three works for consideration; prospectus available at imperialcentre.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/SALMAGUNDI-XXIII-2019-prospectus.pdf.
Nash Arts Center: 100 E. Washington St., Nashville; Shelly Gray, 459-4734; email@example.com.
- "Creative Kids" - 4-5:30 p.m. Mondays; instructed by artist Kim Valentine; $65 for six-week session.
- Dance Camp – 10 a.m.-1 p.m. July 8-12; ages 4-13; ballet, jazz, modern, hip hop; $65 Nash Arts members, $70 others; registration deadline July 1.
- Paint Party Camp – 9 a.m.-noon July 15-19; ages 6-13; design, sketch and paint; $65 Nash Arts members, $70 others; registration deadline July 8.
- Drama Camp – 1-5 p.m. July 22-26; ages 6-13; basic theater fundamentals; $70 Nash Arts members, $75 others; registration deadline July 15.
Rocky Mount Children’s Museum and Science Center: 270 Gay St.; 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Tuesday to Saturday and 1-5 p.m. Sunday; admission $6; free admission Sundays to Rocky Mount residents; admission includes Cummins Planetarium. 972-1266; imperialcentre.org.
- ”Be An Astronaut” – Through Sept 1; explore the wonders of space and what it takes to be an astronaut.
Cummins Planetarium: 270 Gay St., Rocky Mount; 972-1266.
- "Spirit of America" - Through June 30; 3 p.m. Tuesdays through Sundays.
- "Big Bird's Adventure" - 11 a.m. Saturdays.
Westridge Grill: 3629 Sunset Ave. (in Westridge Shopping Center). Rocky Mount; 937-7299; show times 7 p.m.; free admission.
- 7:30 p.m. Tuesdays – Trivia contest.
Sharks-N-Shooters: 4470 Sunset Ave., Rocky Mount; 937-8882; private club; entrance free with paid membership.
- 8 p.m. Tuesdays and Saturdays – Cornhole tournament; $10 per team.
- 10 p.m.-2 a.m. Thursdays – Weekly karaoke/dance party featuring D.J. Redeyez.
- 10 p.m.-2 a.m. Fridays – Dance party featuring D.J. Hipnotic.
R.A. Fountain General Store and Internet Cafe: Show times 7:30 p.m. except as noted; 6754 E. Wilson St., Fountain; 252-749-3228; rafountain.com.
- Friday – The Malpass Brothers; $15 general admission, $17.50 reserved.
St. Anne's Chapel: 3244 McNair Road, Tarboro; Kevin or Trish Wilson, 641-0262.
- 6 p.m. June 15 - Sacred Cacao Ceremony and Sound Bath; limited to 20 participants; RSVP; $40 at door.
- 7 p.m. June 21 - Summer Solstice Ceremony; $20 per person.
- 3 p.m. June 30 - Communal Breathwork with James Lally; $15 per person.
- 9 a.m. Oct. 18-20 – Profound Sound Festival; $66 per person through May 5; profoundsoundfestival.com.
Braswell Memorial Library children’s programs: 727 N. Grace St.; 442-1951.
- 10:30 a.m. Mondays – Mother Goose story time; birth through 3 years old; music, puppet shows and storytelling.
- 11 a.m. Tuesdays – Preschool story time; ages 3-5; music, puppet shows and storytelling.
- 1 p.m. first Saturday – R.E.A.D. Dog Chere; interactive program promotes confidence and love of reading in children; free; registration required.
Blount-Bridgers House tours: 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Wednesdays through Saturdays and 2-4 p.m. Sundays; 130 Bridgers St., Tarboro; 823-4159.
Countyline Bluegrass Barn: 5832 Hornes Church Road, Wilson; Kenny Pierce, 813-0930; countylinebluegrassbarn.org.
- 7:30 p.m. Tuesdays – Bluegrass picking session; free.