Friday, January 11, 2019
Maria V. Howard Arts Center: 270 Gay St.; free; 972-1163; arts.imperialcentre.org.
- Watercolor Society of North Carolina Traveling Exhibition - Through Jan. 31.
- "Where the Dream Began" & selections from the Permanent Collection - Through April 14.
- Killebrew Collection Exhibition by UNC Library System - Through April 21.
- Handcrafted Juried Art Show - Through April 21; juried by Wendy Earle.
- Imperial Centre Teaching Artist Exhibition - Feb. 8 through April 14.
- 2019 Juried Art Show – entries accepted through Feb. 22; artists 18 years old and older may submit up to four works for consideration; $25 submission fee; juror Amiri Farris; exhibition dates May 3 through Aug. 18; prospectus available at https://imperialcentre.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/JAS-2019-Prospectus.pdf.
- Sculpture Salmagundi XXII – Through Sept. 2019.
Braswell Memorial Library: 727 N. Grace St., Rocky Mount; 442-1951.
- 10 a.m.-6 p.m. Saturday – Winter Wonderland Reading Program sign-up; Youth Services Department; sign up to receive a bingo card and take home a craft; reading program runs through March 2.
- 1-2 p.m. Saturday – Lego Club – Build to Give; Youth Services Story Room; build and create with Legos.
- 6-7 p.m. Monday - “Minecraft” Create Club; Computer Lab; age 12 and younger; venture into the world of “Minecraft.”
- 3-5 p.m. Tuesday – Teen “Minecraft” Club; Computer Lab; explore to the world “Minecraft.”
Nash Arts Center: 100 E. Washington St., Nashville; Shelly Gray, 459-4734; email@example.com.
- "Creative Kids" - 4-5:30 p.m. Mondays; instructed by artist Kim Valentine; $65 for six-week session.
Rocky Mount Children’s Museum and Science Center: 270 Gay St.; 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Tuesday to Saturday and 1-5 p.m. Sunday; admission $6; free admission Sundays to Rocky Mount residents; admission includes Cummins Planetarium. 972-1266; imperialcentre.org.
- ”Be An Astronaut” – Jan. 22 through May 19; explore the wonders of space and what it takes to be an astronaut.
Westridge Grill: 3629 Sunset Ave. (in Westridge Shopping Center). Rocky Mount; 937-7299; show times 7 p.m.; free admission.
- 7:30 p.m. Tuesdays – Trivia contest.
Sharks-N-Shooters: 4470 Sunset Ave., Rocky Mount; 937-8882; private club; entrance free with paid membership.
- 8 p.m. Tuesdays and Saturdays – Cornhole tournament; $10 per team.
- 10 p.m.-2 a.m. Thursdays – Weekly karaoke/dance party featuring D.J. Redeyez.
- 10 p.m.-2 a.m. Fridays – Dance party featuring D.J. Hipnotic.
R.A. Fountain General Store and Internet Cafe: Show times 7:30 p.m. except as noted; 6754 E. Wilson St., Fountain; 252-749-3228; rafountain.com.
- Today - The Kevin Prater Band; $10 general admission, $12.50 reserved.
- Jan. 18 - The Hwy 301 Band; free.
- Jan. 23 - The Bluegrass Band; free.
- Feb. 16 - The Nu Clear Twins; $10 general admission, $12.50 reserved.
- March 23 - Ted Jones & The Tarheel Boys; $10 general admission, $12.50 reserved.
- June 14 - The Malpass Brothers; $15 general admission, $17.50 reserved.
Nash Arts Center: 100 E. Washington St., Nashville; $15 general admission; Shelly Gray, 459-4734; firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 7 p.m. Saturday – Russ Varnell & His Too Country Band; $12.
- 7:30 p.m. Jan. 19 – Jim Lauderdale; $25 advance general admission, $30 at door and $20-$30 for Nash Arts members.
- 8 p.m. Jan. 24 – Bill Lyerly with Clyde Mattocks & Alan Hicks; $15 advance, $20 at door.
Dunn Center for the Performing Arts: 3400 N. Wesleyan Blvd.; 7:30 p.m. except as noted; 985-5100.
- Today - Balsam Range.
- Jan. 25 – Next Generation Leahy.
- Feb . 1 - Cash Unchained: The Ultimate Johnny Cash Tribute.
- Feb. 9 - An Evening with Jimmy Fortune and Chris Golden.
- Feb. 12 - The Kruger Brothers.
- Feb. 22 – Terry Barber.
- March 1 – I am King: Michael Jackson.
- March 22 – Shadowgrass.
- April 12 – Frank Solivan & Dirty Kitchen.
- May 10 – The Jersey Tenors.
St. Anne's Chapel: 3244 McNair Road, Tarboro; Kevin or Trish Wilson, 641-0262.
- 2-4 p.m. Jan. 27 - iRest Meditation with Kathleen Loucks; $15.
“Summertime is Calling”: 6:30 p.m. Feb. 15; Brown Auditorium, Nash Community College; Tar River Orchestra and Chorus presents The Catalinas and The Fantastic Shakers; $60; https://www.eventbrite.com/e/summertime-is-calling-the-catalinas-the-shakers-tickets-53113504923?aff=ebdssbdestsearch.
Rocky Mount Chamber Choir: email@example.com or rockymountchambersingers.com.
- 6 p.m. Feb. 16 - Valentine's concert; Brown Auditorium, Nash Community College; love songs.
- 4 p.m. May 5 - Spring concert; First Presbyterian Church; music of Mendelssohn, Rutter, Vaughan-Williams and Bernstein; free.
Rocky Mount Community Theatre: 270 Gay St.; 972-1266; imperialcentre.org.
- “Jesus Christ Superstar” - 7:30 p.m. March 8-9 and March 15-16 and 2 p.m. March 10 and March 17.
- “The Last Five Years” - 7:30 p.m. May 2-4 and May 5; musical that chronicles the five-year life of a marriage from meeting to break-up and from break-up to meeting.
Tar River Orchestra and Choral Society: Dunn Center for the Performing Arts, 3400 N. Wesleyan Blvd., except as noted; $85 season tickets; tarriverlive.com.
- “Peter and the Wolf” - 3 p.m. March 9; Tar River Orchestra; classic story of “Peter and the Wolf.”
- “Vivaldi and Handel by Candlelight” - April 5; St. Andrew's Episcopal Church; Tar River Chorus; Vivaldi's “Gloria” and selections from Handel's “Coronation Anthems.”
- “Swing N Strings” - May 9; Tar River Swing Band and Orchestra Strings; swing tunes and hits from the great American Songbook.
Braswell Memorial Library children’s programs: 727 N. Grace St.; 442-1951.
- 10:30 a.m. Mondays – Mother Goose story time; birth through 3 years old; music, puppet shows and storytelling.
- 11 a.m. Tuesdays – Preschool story time; ages 3-5; music, puppet shows and storytelling.
- 1 p.m. first Saturday – R.E.A.D. Dog Chere; interactive program promotes confidence and love of reading in children; free; registration required.
Blount-Bridgers House tours: 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Wednesdays through Saturdays and 2-4 p.m. Sundays; 130 Bridgers St., Tarboro; 823-4159.
Countyline Bluegrass Barn: 5832 Hornes Church Road, Wilson; Kenny Pierce, 813-0930; countylinebluegrassbarn.org.
- 7:30 p.m. Tuesdays – Bluegrass picking session; free.